Hammer N Ales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammer N Ales Portsmouth is a wargaming group based in Portsmouth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jcking83

Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment Empty
PostSubject: Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment   Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi guys, wondered if I could pick your brains for a moment!

Im in the process of finishing up my Battle Company Formation for Apoc games, just stuck on what transports to take. My original plan was to go fluffy with 6 Tactical Squads and an Ironclad Podding in, with the remaining 2 Dreadnoughts, 2 Assault Squads, 2 Devastator Squads in Rhino's, and Command Squad in Rhino walking on.
However, after re-reading the Formation Deployment rules it states that the entire Formation must be deployed at the same time - and with the changes to Reserves now affected by what type the unit is I have hit a conundrum.

Does my Formation come on any time I like as the majority is in Drop Pods, therefore using the Deep Strike Rules (anytime including the first turn), or because I plan to have footsloggers does it come in after the first break? Also, does this mean i automatically lose as I will have no models on the board for 2 turns?

I have asked Games Workshop about this, and have had conflicting answers by various stores, and dont really want to go all out and buy 6 more Drop Pods if I cant use them!
Back to top Go down
Richard F

PostSubject: Re: Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment   Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Don't forget formations have to deploy in a certain radius, usually you pick a point and deploy from there I believe.

So I doubt you could deep strike the pods at the back and move on the other reserves, as you'd be outside this bubble anyway.

But no models on the board = lose

Personnally, I think its all or nothing and that you'd have to move on using the slowest model. In light of this, I think the formation isn't designed to be mixed or use drop pods.
Back to top Go down
Jcking83

PostSubject: Re: Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment   Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 2:12 am

Yeah I know the rules state that the Formation "must be deployed within 36" of a point of the board, after scattering" and then gives an example of Terminators Deep-Striking.
The rules for the Battle Company allow for any Dedicated Transports taken as normal - so it is either gonna be Rhino's or Drop Pods, however I dont want to buy another 2 Lucius Drop Pods and 7 Drop Pods!

I can see the sense in using the deployment for the slowest model, looks like I have no choice other than to use Drop Pods!
Back to top Go down
Richard F

PostSubject: Re: Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment   Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 3:09 am

what about using the other formation, that John tried in the apoc game?

That way you could split the force up so you had the deep strike company, then the rest of the company rolling on behind?
Back to top Go down
Jcking83

PostSubject: Re: Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment   Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 3:36 am

Because of the special rules associated with the Formation.
Off the top of my head - the Strikeforce (3+ Tacticals with Pods) gets Hatred and Preferred Enemy against the opponents HQ for the first 2 turns after it arrives, which could be useful.

The Battle Company Formation gets a free Orbital Bombardment Strategic resource, Stubborn within 6" of an objective, and the 12" Overwatch bubble.

I suppose I could just use the Strikeforce and see how it goes until GW do an FAQ, at least that way i'm not gonna tempt myself into an auto-lose situation
Back to top Go down
Noveltyboy

Noveltyboy

PostSubject: Re: Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment   Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Basically the way I read it is if you have to either deploy the lot no deep striking or keep in reserve but your deep striking units and drop pods will have to adhere to the rules for the slowest unit so you come on after first break. Its quite clear about they have to deploy or arrive at the same time. If the whole formation could deepstrike then you could do it on turn 1 but its defo all of nothing. The strength of the battle company is instant overwhelming force either as a spear to your enemies heart or a counter strike to push your enemies back.

When nominating your point though it doesnt have to be a table edge if they drive on in rhinos so as long as you have room pick say 20" in knowing you can drive on 12" and then any deepstrikers can be placed further forward.

If only dreadnoughts could have jump packs eh. Sort of makes doing the assault company pointless if you want to deepstike as you have to take the dreads.
Back to top Go down
http://thelifeandtimesofnoveltyboy.blogspot.co.uk/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment   Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment Empty

Back to top Go down

Apocalypse Battle Formation Deployment
Page 1 of 1